Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Blarchives

So, it's been a while without a post, so I decided to go rooting through my old pieces and I picked out some of my favorites.  I'll be explaining these as I go so I'll get right to the pictures.  More after the jump.



I made this one in my high school days when just about everything had to have a dragon in it because, come on, its a dragon.  It's maybe the largest piece I've ever made at around 2.5' by 3'.  The medium is acrylic paint on tar paper.





This one is more acrylic on tar paper but without any indication of dragons.  If there is one thing I like to paint, it's big fantastical landscapes, so here we go.





In contrast to the first piece, these next couple are tiny, like the size of a postcard.  Acrylic on canvas board; arctic for the first.





...And desert for the second.  I think at the time I was trying to experiment with conveying temperature through color and I think they turned out pretty well.





I actually painted this one on a random piece of cardboard I found because I ran out of canvas board.  It's mountains.  Who doesn't like mountains?  Mountains are nice.





My inner 7-year-old and his love for all things prehistoric are largely responsible for the content of this painting.  In case you were wondering, the large creature depicted in this image is a Dunkleosteus.  It was a real animal, look it up.  Acrylic on canvas board.






And we're back to dragons, or gargoyles, or something... I really enjoy how clear the subject is even with the minimal color palette.  





Hey, it's me.  Or at least it was me back from 2009.  Perhaps the most accurate depiction of myself I've ever pulled off, and that includes photographs.





Hey, it's me... again... and I'm blue.  I guess that's kind of cool.  I like blue.  Slightly less accurate than the previous self-portrait but this one was from 2008, so I must have learned quite a bit in that year.






Ok, I like manta rays.  This was the concept I wanted to convey in this piece.  I feel I was successful in this endeavor.  It's a weird hybrid of a painting, a collage, and pen drawing.  The fact that I even considered a collage speaks volumes about my opinions of manta rays.  Manta rays are awesome.  





I found these old steel tile snips and I had the idea of making them really impressive, something along the lines of the hammer Mjollnir.  So logically I drew them covered in lightning.  This piece is chalk pastels on grey paper.





Those of you who have looked through the rest of my blog might recognize that woman in the power suit as Sophia (see I Like to Do Drawings).  This was the first time I was exposed to Prismacolor markers.





This is just Sharpie permanent marker on a big sheet of sketch paper and only took me about 30 seconds to complete but I'm really pleased I managed to pull off abstract minimalism.  It's a conch shell, if you were curious.





These last three are pencil sketches on big sketchpad pages much like the above piece.  This first one is a book perched on the corner of my laptop.





I never knew how hard it was to sketch a balled up white t-shirt until I gave it a shot.  Good lord this took me a while to finish.  All things considered, though, I think it turned out alright.





I'm really proud of this one.  It's a glass of water.  Looks great.  That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment